The conversion of a historic building into a new luxury retirement living development has been acknowledged by the Mayor of Cheltenham during a recent visit.
Councillor Klara Sudbury attended a special open day at New Court, located in Montpellier, during which she was given a tour of the development and shown the wide range of facilities available to residents.
Completed earlier this year, the development comprises 53 apartments, six which are located in the renovated Grade II listed building, with the remaining 47 in the newly developed contemporary building which is joined by a glazed link.
As well as providing a mix of one and two bedroom apartments, including two penthouses, the development also offers a range of onsite facilities including a bar, restaurant, library, wellbeing room and private gardens.
New Court was initially commissioned as a family home in 1862 but has since been used as a Voluntary Aid Detachment hospital in 1914, the first of its kind for the area, providing a home for nearly 1,700 men while they recovered from injuries sustained during the First World War.
The building was then rented to the Gloucestershire Constabulary, before being turned into the New Court Hotel and later acting as a feeder school to Cheltenham Ladies College and Gentleman’s College. Most recently, New Court was home to a range of local businesses as well as the dedicated museum.
Cllr Sudbury commented: “It has been very interesting to visit this development and see its transformation into the luxury retirement apartments. The building is steeped in history and great care has been taken to maintain the heritage of the site, while also introducing the new build aspect of the development which is another exciting chapter in the story of New Court for the town.”